Introduction to Pawanmuktasana
Pawanmuktasana (pronunciation: Paw-an-muk-ta-aah-suh-naa) is the first asana recommended after waking up. It is the only asana which you can perform after lunch or dinner. As the name suggests, Pawanmuktasana is also called Air Relieving Pose as it helps regulate bowel routine.
Scientific Way of Performing Pawanmuktasana
Pawanmuktasana is best done on an empty stomach which is right after you wake up.
The right steps to do Pawanmuktasana
- Lie down with your back straight on the mat or carpet. Keep your hands and legs relaxed.
- Lift your both legs perpendicular to the floor in the air at right angle.
- Bend your legs at the knees and bring them close to your chest.
- While bringing your bent knees to your chest, exhale so that there is no extra air.
- Lift your hands and clasp them around the bend knees.
- Keep your head and chest firmly on the floor.
- For more difficult pose, lift your head and chest. This will make a cocoon or womb shape.
- Hold it for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Relax your head and chest by bringing them to floor.
- Unclasp your hands from knees. And relax them against your torso.
- Lift the bend knees and stretch them straight up in air.
- Bring the legs on the floor.
Precautions to take while performing Pawanmuktasana
- For beginners, 1 or 2 reps of 5 to 10 seconds are more than good.
- For advanced performers, they can perform 2 to 5 reps of 1 minute each.
- People having flatulence should perform this asana in the privacy of their home.
Who can and can't perform Pawanmuktasana
- This asana is beneficial for everyone having bowel irritation or problems.
- This asana is particularly advised to children.
- People with health issues of High Blood Pressure, Heart problems, hyperacidity, hernia, testicle problems should not perform it.
- Menstruating women and people with back and neck problems should avoid till their issues are resolved.
- This asana should not be performed by pregnant women after the second trimester.
Variations in Pawanmuktasana
There are three versions of this asana with two preparatory and one follow up.
1.1 Sulabh Pawanmuktasana (Easy air release pose) - keep your head and chest on floor.
1.2 Ardha Pawanmuktasana (Half air release pose) - bend only one leg
2. Follow up
2.1. Dwi pada Uttanpadasana - both leg raised and suspended in air.
Health Benefits of Pawanmuktasana
- Stretches the neck and back.
- The abdominal muscles are tensed and the internal organs are compressed which increases the blood circulation and stimulates the nerves, increasing the efficiency of the internal organs.
- The pressure on the abdomen releases any trapped gases in the large intestine.
- Blood circulation is increased to all the internal organs.
- Digestive system is improved.
- Relieves constipation.
- Strengthens the lower back muscles and loosens the spinal vertebrae.
- Sterility and impotence - Helps to regulate the working of sexual organs and fluids.
- Massages the pelvic muscles and reproductive organs and is beneficial for menstrual disorders in women
- Reduces fats in the abdominal area, thighs and buttocks of women.
This asana greatly helps people who have digestive problems. It aids in fat loss, eases bloating.
Let us know what benefits you got from this asana.
|Share On :|
No Any Comment For This Blog.